Use of 'used to' and 'would'

I hope you have read my blog on USE OF HAVE TO AND HAS TO AND MUST. 

This is my second attempt to talk about grammar. Students often get confused about the past tense and the way it should be used. Here is my blog that focuses on a specific use of past tense using "used to" and "would". However, the critics say that there is a thin line difference between the modals.

Table for Would and used to 

This is to make you clear the use of "used to" and "would".

Aunt Podger used to ask what was to be done with it. Then Uncle Podger used to take off his coat and begin. He used to send the maid out for six pennyworth of nails.

Both "USED TO " and "WOULD" are used to show habitual action in the past. However, 'would' cannot be used to show states in the past.


Verbs like 'play, go, ride' are action verbs. Verbs like 'be, love, have, believe and live show states. (They are continuous, not habitual)

1. "Would" is used when we establish the past time frame before the word "would" appears. 

For Example,
When I was a child, I would watch cartoons with my dad in the evenings.
When I was a student, I would read books in the library every Friday.

If the time frame is established after, "used to" can be used.

I used to watch cartoons with my dad in the evenings when I was a child.
I used to read books in the library every Friday when I was a student.

2. "Would" is not used with stative verbs (verbs that describe a state of being), such as be, understand, feel or love. 

For Example,
When I was a kid, I used to love playing in the park.
When I was a kid, I would love playing in the park.

3. We cannot use "would" when we want to talk about a past state. We have to use "used to"

For Example,
I used to live in the village when I was a child.
I would live in the village when I was a child.



So, the use of "would" is more limited that "used to". 

You can also click HERE to know about intricacies of the verb. 








Post a Comment

2 Comments